Wednesday 16 May 2007

Beach Life

So its been a wee while since my last post, well loads has happened and also not much at all. I returned to the ashram for another 10 day session, Fran and Eiry arrived which was weird but good to see them. I tried a day of silence which was not completely successful but I had the girls teasing me and trying to get me to talk and for the most part I resisted but towards the end of the day a couple of sentences slipped out on the whole it was a really interesting day and I would love to do it again, I recommend that you try this one at home.

I left the Ashram feeling fit and healthy and ready for some chilling out on the beach, but I took that a bit too far..... It started well, some cooking lessons and a bit of sunbathing and then it all went a bit Pete tong. I was intending to go to a temple festival with the promise of fifty elaborately decorated elephants and then I met a hairy man who invited ne to go with him and his mates so I promptly ditched my friends and sat in a bar with Nathan (hairy man) waiting for the rest of the gang. To cut a long story short we never made it to the elephants which we later heard were amazing and instead spent the evening drinking cocktails made from cheap spirits I got horribly drunk and didn't even manage to pull the hairy man. The next morning I had the hangover from hell and had to go to the second day of my cooking class which was a very difficult day. This seemed to be the begginning of the end, I didn't drink after that but I did start getting a bit stoned, I had a great stoner friend who I was at the ashram with and slowly but surely the yoga got put to one side while we embraced the weed smoking and beach lazing lifestyle. I was ill for a couple of weeks (e-coli urine infection) which was incredibly painfull and I was unable to leave my balcony for a couple of days which was how it started, Steve came and sat with me and got me stoned to cheer me up, and when I got better I just carried on. I ended up spending five weeks there, I had a room with a beautiful veiw right on the cliff top overlooking the beach, amazing sunsets every night and some of the scariest and most amazing electrical storms I have ever seen, literally watching lightening flash across the sky and into the sea with thunder that was so loud it actually seemed to make the ground rumble and set off my landlords car alarm one night. I always felt scared for the fishermen in their little boats with no protection from the elements at all and literally surrounded by lightening.

After a week or so of procrastinating about it I managed to sort my shit out and leave, I shed a few tears in the rickshaw as I left for the station as much for leaving Steve as for leaving Varkala. Steve had been like a brother/best mate and had completely loked after me when I was ill and taken me on little adventures to surrounding beaches and temples on his little moped, we had a great time together and I am missing him already.

I am now on another beach called Gokarna which apparently has some desserted beaches nearby which are supposed to be amazing but I am yet to explore. I am staying in a little house at the far end of the beach next to a temple which is lovely to hear the bells ringing and the incense burning for puja (prayer time) twice a day. It is off season so there is no one else in my guest house so it gloriously peaceful, I could easily stay here another month but I fly to Thailand in a week so thats not an option.

For those of you who haven't heard I am not coming home for the summer, I have decided to stay for as long as I can which maybe one year or maybe two, who knows. I'd be a fool not to make the most of this opportunity, I think I am going back to Varkala for next season and I will rent a house for a few months and work a bit. I intend to get somewhere with a couple of bedrooms so if anyone wants to come visit please feel free.

Ciao for now xxx

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aw Cat, such a sweet blog, we had such a cool time being lazy and chilling, I was "trapped" on the beach for another two weeks!after you left despite the fact that I was leaving the next day. Even your Italian "mate" Bobo left before me, but you will be pleased to know that I got right back on the programme and went back to the Ashram for another 10 yogatastic days before having another 3 days back at the Chouti "Hilton" in Varkala with a lovely girl called...Catherine - she came to that fantastic meal we had at Kumari's house with endless courses. Met more really nice people at the Ashram, though the vibe was completely different. Went to an Ayurvedic clinic for 2 weeks of Panchakarma detox, stayed 3 days then left cos it was on the flightpath for Cochin Airport, Left Cath there- we are sort of getting it together gradually- then went Cochin, Bangalore (yuk!) and arrived in Mysore yesterday, which I am happy about. Have hardly missed a day with the yug,smoked any gange,drunk booze,not sure who was the bad influence! we had fun tho eh?Today I had 1st Ashtanga class at 6 -seriously,tough,great,expensive, body went places it ain't been before-teacher made me rest for last 3rd of the class.So there. xxSteve